Copyright © 2010 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.

Search the Journal

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Monday, November 17th, 1862


To day Sam Sharp with the little wagon and mules and Masoline riding my horse Rat left Liberty after bidding us all good bye in route for the mill, to which point I am now moving my furniture with a view of settling up the Country permanently [i.e., Houston County]. I attended a mass meeting at the Court house for the purpose of furnishing labor to obstruct the navigation of the river and against the advance of the enemy's gun boats, but I regret to say that no definite action was taken and the Government steamer Col. Stell was compelled to leave without the hands for which she came, thus making two grand failures to arouse the people to a sense of their danger. weather cloudy, warm and occasional showers of rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment