Copyright © 2010 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.

Search the Journal

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Wednesday, August 3rd, 1864

To day Bill is at work in the lower field pulling fodder. I sent John to Crockett after some sugar. by him I sent to Billy Stewart 2 bushels of meal, 50 lbs. flour & 3 doz. eggs. Mother [Mahala Sharp Hall nee Roberts] & Nellie [Mary Alexandrien Sharp nee Lemaire] also rode to Crockett & while there Nellie procured for me from Mr. Craddock a saddle for which she paid 95$. I learned that Crockett was nearly consumed by fire on yesterday. The fire broke out about 10 o'clock a.m. and burnt until 2 o'clk P.M. consuming in all about 25 houses. The little woman [Margaret Hall Stewart nee Sharp] & I with the children drove down to the mill & while there Mr. Miller the Govt. agent called upon me for one half of my cotton, which I declined to let go. Weather changeable & hot. Ther: 95°.

No comments:

Post a Comment