Saturday, January 16, 2010

Monday, January 16th, 1860


This day commenced to improve the farm with one hand and with the ulterior object of permanently locating a homestead. Thus launching my barque upon an agricultural life with rather poor prospects for success but meeting the smiles and approbation of my dear little woman and with a stout heart and a determination to succeed. Mr. Sam SHARP, Geo. BORDER, and John VARNADORE visited the house and took supper. Mr. VARNADORE remained all night and with whom I contracted to build me a good and substantial residence at a cost of $2000. Mrs. J. J. HALL also left on a visit to Mrs. MATTHEWS with a view of purchasing a negro man for me. Thus I close the principal incidents of the day.



This image is from an article about J.M. Hall and his Journal as featured in the digital magazine, Shades of the Departed.


barque: Poetic, any boat, esp a small sailing vessel