Copyright © 2010 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.

Search the Journal

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tuesday, January 17th, 1860


This day I sent negro boy Joe to Crockett for three axes purchased from Genl. COLLINS. I then went in company with Mr. VARNADORE to the site selected for the erection of my house, and from there to LEAVERTON's gin for the purpose of examining some 10 or 11 bales of cotton that I agreed to take from Mrs. PEACOCK in liquidation of a debt due by her to me for the sum of [400$?] but found the cotton so bad and trashy that I refused to take it. Joe returned from Crockett with the axes, and Mrs. J.J. HALL [Mahala* Sharp Hall nee Roberts] returned from her visit to Mrs. MATTHEWS having failed with her intention of purchasing the negro boy. I burnt brush in my orchard ? clearing in the evening and thus close the incidents of this day.


*This Mahala is a 3rd great-grandma to the Keeper of this family history blog.