Copyright © 2010 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.

Search the Journal

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Saturday, March 17th, 1860


To day I started 3 plows planting corn. I also received notice and a quietus (but I say no more on this subject) I also paid Darby all I am due him for splitting rails save 59 for which I still owe. Weather clear pleasant.



YAZOO DEMOCRAT [Yazoo City, MS], March 17, 1860, p. 2, c. 4. Negro's Crop.—Our attention was directed to a load of five bags of cotton in Broad street this morning, and we were informed that it was the crop of the "house gang" (for the information of our friends up towards the North pole, we will tell them that the house gang signifies the cook and negro children about the house too young for regular work) belonging to Mrs. O'Conner, of Mount Vintage, Edgefield district, S. C. The cotton was of extra quality, and brought 12½ cents, producing nearly $250 for the cook-woman and her little "drab shets," a very comfortable sum to spend in luxuries, and more money than thousands of poor men and women in New England see in one sum in the whole course of their lives. Augusta Dispatch.