Copyright © 2010 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.

Search the Journal

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Monday, December 21st, 1863


To day the boys are at work on the stables. I drove my horse (Rob) and buggy to Crockett and back. while there I left with L.E. Downes 15 pairs of russett brogans for him to sell for me. I purchased one gallon of whiskey for which I paid 80$ 1 oz. of the oil of Sassafras at 5¢ per oz. 1 lb. of candy at 3$. I record these prices for the benefit of those that come after me, in order that they may see some of the benefits that war brings upon the Country and people. Sam* [Samuel Houston Sharp] ground 9½ bushels of corn. Mother* [Mahala Sharp Hall nee Roberts] went home leaving the little woman [Margaret Hall Stewart nee Sharp] and babe [Josephine] all doing well. Weather changeable and cold, with indications of rain.


*This Sam is a 2nd great-grandpa to the Keeper of this family history blog. Mahala is his mother.



No comments:

Post a Comment