Copyright © 2010 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.

Search the Journal

Friday, May 29, 2015

Monday, May 29th, 1865

To day I am still at Booth's. Capt. Harrison and I took a long hunt after squirrels. In fact I am now willing to hunt all the time in order to occupy my mind and keep it from dwelling all the time upon home. A large party of gentlemen came over on the cars from Beaumont and put up at Booths, entirely crowding us out. Be it remembered that the President of the United Sates (Andrew Johnson) issued his proclamation liberating and freeing all the negro slaves in the south. and by this high handed and unlawful act I am deprived of nearly all my property that I have been working for for the past 30 years nearly all the Capital that I had being invested in that species of property. Weather clear & hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment