Copyright © 2010 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.

Search the Journal

Monday, August 31, 2015

Thursday, August 31st, 1865

To day I finished clearing up the garden for the plow. I paid off and discharged the negro woman Ophelia having no use for such worthless free negroes. The little woman [Margaret Hall Stewart nee Sharp] paid Miss Jinnie Patillo for some chickens she purchased from her. Fawn missed the fever. Weather variable & hot. Ther: 82°. Thus closes my notes for the month of August and as it closes the summer months I shall cease noting the state of the thermometer until next summer, should I be spared to live until that period.*






*Note . . . he will indeed survive for one more summer . . . but that summer of 1866 will be his last . . . I have now spent every single day with this man and his writings . . . since the 16th day of January in 2010 . . . I will miss our daily "visits" . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment